Metronomy

Metronomy
Love Letters

Genre:
Indie Pop / Electronic

Members:
Joseph Mount
Oscar Cash
Anna Prior
Olugbenga Adelekan


I absolutely love this band. I love this album. Probably more than their last album, The English Riviera. I'm clearly into strange and weird music, and these guys deliver when it comes to that kind of sound. Metronomy is no doubt one band I would love to see live. Their presence on stage (from what I've seen in videos) is awkward, but quirky, in all the right ways. Like I've mentioned before, a more complete band is more appealing in my eyes and Metronomy has put together four incredibly talented musicians. As well, I really like that the drummer is female - I'm sorry if this sounds sexist, but in reality, I'm encouraging the idea of seeing more women play drums - and not to mention, she's really good at it too.

Anyways, on to their sound. Their lead singer, Joseph Mount, has a relatively irritating voice. Hmm, well why should you listen? You get use to it. Although his lyrics sound breathy and a bit whiny, he can really hit the high notes. Its nice how he changes his vocal range. Metronomy has always been known for their simplistic sounds, which I really enjoy. It seems like they have a futuristic sound, with a little bit of digital-space noise in there (the best way I can describe it). 

The things I have come to appreciate in most of their songs have been their funky bass riffs, their use of backing vocals and their use of various instruments. The trumpet in "Love Letters" is fantastic and adds a whole other dimension to their sound. The girls in the back are super catchy in "I'm Aquarius", where you can hear them singing "shoop doop door ahh". I may sound crazy if you don't actually go and listen to the song. As well, their is a constant buzzing sound of organs in many of their songs, which really makes things sound eerie. Each song, in some ways, has its own build up. Some of their builds take longer than others and only last about a minute. I don't entirely mind that because I'm relatively patient when it comes to music. From song to song, there are ups and downs of moods, which is pretty cool - its nice to have an album that fluctuates my moods.

"Boy Racers", an instrumental song, brings Metronomy back to when they didn't have many vocals. This song really demonstrates how simple and fun their sound can be. "The Most Immaculate Haircut" is a song that hits close to home. For those of you who don't know me well, I used to have long hair and cared a good bit about it. Anyways (enough about me), this song is fun and pretty hilarious. Not only are the lyrics pretty catchy, the bass riff is killer. I love their song "Reservoir" and how they have such a harmonious sound with their keyboards.

Although Love Letters doesn't have hit singles like "The Bay" or the "The Look", I like the completeness of this album. Its a pretty short and sweet album. It helps pass the time if you're taking the bus and you want sounds to soothe the soul.





Favourite Songs (I liked a lot of them):
The Upsetter
Love Letters
Boy Racers
Call Me
The Most Immaculate Haircut
Reservoir

Go like my Facebook page to get updates about my blog: AC Pastiche

0 comments:

Post a Comment