No Mythologies to Follow

Genres:
Indie Pop

Members:
Karen Marie Ørsted





Not too long ago, I had first heard MØ's EP, Bikini Daze, got obsessed pretty quickly and listened to it a little too much that it got on my friends' nerves. Considering Ørsted's EP only had four songs, it got a little annoying when her songs were on repeat when I was playing video games (really only one: NHL 14 / chel) with my friends. Luckily, MØ's first LP, No Mythologies to Follow, was released about 10 days ago. Now when we play some chel, her 20 songs are on repeat!

Her new LP is fantastic. She gives the listener so much selection. Whatever mood you're in, you can listen to her album. If you download the deluxe version, you can listen to alternate versions of a select few songs, which she has slowed down, mellowed out and massively reverbed. These are the "night versions." I'd start with the day versions to get a feel for her style, then if you're brave enough, explore the darkness.

Her line in "Slow Love" sums up this album quite nicely. "Why is the rhythm always making me high?" That's how I feel when I'm listening to this head-bopping album. You feel pretty light and happy. Not a bad feeling when listening to music!



I really like the tone of the electric guitar in most of her songs. In "Maiden" and "Walk This Way," its as if the guitar is talking back to her. In many other songs, what stands out is the fuzzy (yet synthy) bass sounds that mix well with the drum kits. I'm a huge fan of powerful bass riffs that set the beat in a song. As well, "Red In The Grey" is a pretty sweet song because it sounds like there are electric steel drums (if that even exists). I'm a big fan of the steel drums, I don't know why, but they make you want to dance! Her voice is magically soothing. Reminds me of a more foreign Lauren Mayberry (singer from CHVRCHES). I really like what Ørsted does with her voice. She drones it out when necessary and chants at other times. She has a beautiful range to her voice and she's not afraid to explore it. For those who like to sing along, MØ's lyrics are extremely catchy and don't seem hard to learn. Unlike many other artists, her lyrics seem to have meaning. She talks about freedom and exploration a lot. I like that.

Artists need to utilize every possible instrument and MØ's LP does not disappoint.

Unfortunately, I would have to say that the album doesn't necessarily flow. I like to listen to an album in order, but there's no real point in doing it with this LP. Shuffle away on this one.

But just because it doesn't flow doesn't mean you can't listen to it. This album is a roller coaster ride of emotions. Some songs are soft and sensual, then the next second, my teeth are grinding because, for some reason, the intensity of the bass gets my blood flowing. "Glass" is one of those songs that makes you want to get in a fight with someone, playfully of course ...

Favourite Songs:
Never Wanna Know
Red In The Grey
Pilgrim
Dust Is Gone
Walk This Way
Slow Love
Dummy Head

Red In The Grey:


Go like my Facebook page: AC Pastiche

1 comments:

  1. Can' wait to chel it up now, gonna listen to Mø and crush some dreams

    ReplyDelete