Live: SOHN and Mr Little Jeans

Before I start, I want to thank my friend, Ben, for attending this concert with me, and for taking a few photos as well. Il Motore is a small concert venue and bar in Montreal. I had never been before, so I didn't know what to expect. Well, its very, very small and intimate. Perfect for Mr Little Jeans and SOHN.



I knew of both these artists before attending this concert, but I was waiting to see them live to share their music with y'all. If ever you get the chance to them live, do it. We paid 15$ and it was a complete steal.

Mr Little Jeans
No, its not a Mr - its a Ms. Monica Birkenes, originally from Norway, has an incredible voice. What you hear in her new album, Pocketknife, is exactly what you'll hear live. None of that "I can sing in a studio, but when I hit the live stage at SNL, my voice suddenly changes Lana Del Rey style". (I don't mind Lana's music - I guess her lips just piss me off.) MLJ can actually sing and hold a note. Its quite refreshing. Live, she had one guy backing her on the drums and another guy who pretty much did everything. He played guitar, bass, keyboards and handled all the synthetic sounds. Too bad I don't know their names, they deserve the mention. Not only is her voice a treat to listen to, the instrumentals in each song are quite pleasant to listen to as well. I'm not going to elaborate too much on each song, but go out and get her album. She's going to be a big Indie Pop artist soon and why not help her grow?



SOHN
Oh baby. Can this guy ever sing? He totally wooed me over the first time I heard him sing. He can hit a variety of notes and its pretty incredible. He has a very similar style to Inc. and Rhye, but has less soul and R&B. The vibe and atmosphere of every one of his songs are gentle and sensual. “Bloodflows” is a good example of how he incorporates his electronic style with his Indie Soul (don’t really know if people truly consider this a genre, but I do). As well, the way he plays with his voice and fits it into his songs is pretty impressive. He’s recently released his debut album, Tremors. There isn’t much I dislike about this LP. You can tell he took his time to produce and release it. Because his voice generally rests in the higher octaves, it may seem as if there is some repetition from song to song, but the more you listen to his album, you’ll realize that each song is very different! He is an incredible live performer and the light show was pretty cool too.



0 comments:

Post a Comment